Handshake Banner - www.These-Hard-Times.com These Hard Times

How To Survive These Hard Times

handshake 4 fingers - www.these-hard-times.com
Home Page - More Information

How To Get Food Stamps

food stamp - www.These-Hard-Times.comby Roger Chartier:

If you need food stamps for you or your children, do not be shy.

As of 2011, Forty-six million Americans had trouble with paying for food so you will not be alone or worse than anyone else.

Forget any stigma that you may think would apply to you for using food stamps.

Someday if or when you are on your feet you can pay it forward and help someone in need.

Meanwhile, it is your obligation to feed yourself and your family.
If you don't get enough food and you end up in the hospital, it would cost the taxpayer a lot more than the price of a good meal.

We are living in a somewhat civilized country, and you shouldn't go hungry.

In your state, there will be a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program called SNAP for short.
Go online and search for SNAP followed by the name of your state.

Federal food assistance is discussed below.

If you are worried right now call 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
There is also an automated information service 24 hours a day.
If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the TTY number 1-800-325-0778.

There are certain qualifications that you must meet to get food stamps.

There are requirements to get them without waiting.
The requirements apply to everyone in your household.

You have to be a US citizen or a qualified immigrant.

If you have less than $2,000 in resources, or over $3,000 and if you are over 60 or disabled, you can apply.
If you are on SSI, you can apply.

You shouldn't be left to starve in this country so to be sure, go to the local food stamp office or social-security office to ask about it and bring these documents.

  • You need an ID - driver’s license, state ID, birth certificate or alien card (green card).
  • Some proof of your income for each member of your household like pay stubs, Social Security, SSI or a pension.
  • You will be asked to prove how much you spend on child care.
  • Show rent receipts or show paperwork if you have a mortgage to prove that.
  •  Gas, electric, water, sewer and other utilities.
  • Bring in all of the medical bills for all of the members of your household who are 60 or older.
  •  Bring the medical bills for household members who receive government payments, SSI because they are disabled or Social Security.

Social Security Offices list by State